Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 [5]  ( Go to first unread post )
Harry on Broadway
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Francis
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 08:04 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 251

Let's hope she won't be on the DVD wink.gif !

Francis
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 08:05 AM

Member No.: 251

Let's hope she won't be on the DVD wink.gif !

eeeeefrey
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 11:24 AM

Member No.: 441

She won't be there for the filming. She told me she had tickets thru the 29th. I guess she bought them before the two last shows were added.

The show was great. No special guests except Lucien. It was really great to hear Harry & the band for almost 3 hours! And to hear songs we haven't heard in a long time - It Had to be You, Recipe for Love, and I loved the extended New Orleans set. You could really tell they were all having a great time. Harry's voice just keeps getting better and better with age - I love it when he sings those low notes.

I took my mother in law and a friend of hers and they both are in love with Harry now! And I was surprised at how many people were in line out front after the show, it must have been at least 50.

As usual lots of funny stories and jokes but nothing too new or unusual.

Best concert ever!

--------------------
Beth

WendyD
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 01:44 PM

Super Freak

Member No.: 115

Glad you had such a great time!

The line by the stage door last Friday night was not so much a line as it was a mob of people! Which I happily skipped wink.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
i know i've got someone out there who really digs what i'm doing...
please know that i'll always be singing and playing for you...
as long as you're listening, i'll be there...
-hcjr

TracyW
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 03:33 PM

Groupie

Member No.: 333

Wow, Wendy, another pic with Harry? How many pics does this bring your total count to? wink.gif

--------------------
~ Tracy ~

"Tell yourself you'll never be like the anorexic beauties in the magazines/Like a bargain basement Barbie doll, no belle du jour, no femme fatale/Just tell yourself, tell yourself..." Natalie Merchant

user posted image

WendyD
Posted: Jul 29 2010, 10:38 PM

Super Freak

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (TracyW @ Jul 29 2010, 02:33 PM)
Wow, Wendy, another pic with Harry? How many pics does this bring your total count to? wink.gif

7 blushing.gif

I wasn't going to get another one actually, since I just got one last month, but he kind of insisted. And who's to say 'no' to Harry? wink.gif

--------------------
i know i've got someone out there who really digs what i'm doing...
please know that i'll always be singing and playing for you...
as long as you're listening, i'll be there...
-hcjr

mittenkitten
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 04:06 PM

Member No.: 1279

The show was great.  No special guests except Lucien.  It was really great to hear Harry & the band for almost 3 hours!  And to hear songs we haven't heard in a long time - It Had to be You, Recipe for Love, and I loved the extended New Orleans set.  You could really tell they were all having a great time.

were you at the show on the 28th??

I was there, came from Ottawa just for the show. It was so worth the trip. The night was amazing. What about this guy who was pulled on stage who claimed to be a singer and dancer. He was given the opportunity to sing with Harry, and he so blew it.....made up some song. Harry made such funny comments about him and the " drunk tart who danced with him on stage". Harry is so funny, I was crying with laughter.

BTW - fanclub seat was worth the extra money, 2nd row almost centre stage.

--------------------
I don't care too much about music. What I like is sounds.
-- Dizzie Gillespie

eeeeefrey
  Posted: Jul 31 2010, 10:26 AM

Member No.: 441

No, I was there on the 25th. But I also had second row seats and they were great! The front row was filled with special American Express cardholders that got to have a private meet and greet with Harry before the show. He kept trying to figure out what made them special. Front row center was a guy & his father from Italy. Harry kept talking to them and finally invited the guy to the stage. After a few questions he found out that they moved to the US 15 years ago. He then sent him back to his seat! And played the theme song to The Godfather. He did continue to banter with him thru the show and invited him backstage afterwards.

--------------------
Beth

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Aug 6 2010, 08:59 PM

Member No.: 53539

Broadway Needs a New Orleans Love Letter from Harry Connick Jr.
AUGUST 3, 2010, 9:45 am

By James Sims
August 2, 2010
The Huffington Post

One man. A 20-member band. A single piano. And a Broadway stage. Quite a potent combination when that man happens to be Harry Connick Jr. The smooth singing star wrapped up a short concert run at the Neil Simon Theater this past weekend, with cameras rolling for a future release.

Broadway has been full of popular singers, albeit those "singers" have been coming from such hack talent pools as "American Idol," yet none have really matched the presence of Connick. He might be a movie star, but he's a singer first and foremost, and that kind of combination screams musical theater actor. Less Hollywood actors mugging for the stage and more Connick crooning would suit the upcoming Broadway season well.

Instead of an acting role, this latest turn on the stage was an extended run of Harry Connick, Jr. in Concert on Broadway, a special event that took place a decade after his last concert run at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre. What this return to the theater community proved is that the 42-year-old talent has charisma that gets audiences swaying, not only for his looks and charm but the ability to put a signature sound on the evenings music numbers.

There are stories of Frank Loesser having it out with Frank Sinatra during the filming of MGM's Guys and Dolls -- Loesser had no patience for Sinatra's changing the tempo of his iconic Broadway melodies. But Connick's liberties taken during two songs from the "perfect musical" fit the bill with ease. There were a handful of Broadway songs mixed in with Connick's setlist -- fitting for his return to the Rialto -- and it reminded of his stage presence. The last revival of The Pajama Game on Broadway was a smash, due in part to Connick's performance.

Music from shows including the Loesser classic, Connick's own tuner Thou Shalt Not -- he composed the music -- and The Pajama Game, mixed with standards during the first half of the evening, but things stayed pretty low-key until the energy of New Orleans swept across the Neil Simon stage. When the curtain came up on the second act, Connick exploded like a bright light, obviously full of love for his hometown.

The insanely talented Lucien Barbarin, a jazz trombonist, joined Connick on stage during this love letter to New Orleans, and it felt like the audience was immediately transported to Mardi Gras. Besides craving some jambalaya and crawfish, this turn of music got me thinking about a possible future on Broadway for Connick.

Connick has proven he can act. The boy sure can sing. And he bleeds New Orleans. So, why doesn't some smart team create a show surrounding the Louisiana locale and the jazz scene? That would be another potent combination. Time to put your thinking hats on, Broadway producers.

Mr. Sims, there is a Broadway show about New Orleans. Harry composed it (and you mentioned it). Unfortunately, I didn't take the opportunity to see it. But if it's ever brought back I'll be there.

ClayBusby

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
48 replies since Jul 18 2010, 01:26 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (5) 1 2 3 4 [5] 
<< Back to Tour