Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
2011 Spring Tour, Set lists, "moments", fan reviews, etc.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 19 2011, 09:40 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 53539

Something like 48 hours until I hit the road for the show. I cranked up some vintage Harry in preparation ("She", "Star Turtle" and "Only You: Live").

ClayBusby

AJStrong
Posted: Apr 19 2011, 11:24 AM

Member No.: 75819

You lucky Americans!

Come to UK soon Harry!! 2thumbup.gif

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 10:47 AM

Count Basie Theatre, Red Bank, NJ. April 21, 2011

The Way You Look Tonight
The Very Thought of You
Our Love is Here to Stay (quartet w/ Jerry, Neal and Bam-Bam)
You Don't Know Me
Come By Me
Besame Mucho
I'll Only Miss Her (When I Think of Her)
All The Way

[Introduces Lucien]

Didn't He Ramble
Baby Won't You Please Come Home (Harry, Lucien and Mark B. on vocals)
How Come You Do Me Like You Do?
Take Her to the Mardi Gras
Bourbon Street Parade

Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Great show, with some new standards I hadn't heard before and a slightly different order. Harry admitted to being a little run down, but would not let up--even coming outside the theater after the gig to meet some people before he jumped on his van. Kate was in the audience, but didn't come up to sing. Mark B. got to do some singing, which was a nice surprise. Then he busted out a real nice ballad solo in addition to his usual fast-runs. And Kevin Bryan is a one-man trumpet section...but I notice that stuff b/c have a bias for the trumpets, anyway cool.gif

This was the second night in a 2-night run. The night before, Lucien was signing CD's and I got one in anticipation, but the word was that the band had to bolt immediately after the show to get on the road, so no repeat signing. Maybe next time. But just before I left, Jerry rushed past me, looking for a ride. I said, "Nice work tonight, Jerry" and he was very cordial, even though he was clearly preoccupied with getting back to the hotel. That was the first time I've had a chance to shout out to him after a show--but he's clearly a first-rate person.

I got to talking to one of the tour support people before the show and found out we're from the same part of southern PA. He grew up about 20 minutes from where I did. That was definitely a highlight. Small world. Another memorable evening, well worth the money and 3-hour travel time to Jersey.

So what's next? Broadway? I guess we'll see.

ClayBusby

critterpaws_4me
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 01:42 PM

Member No.: 47495

Mark B. got to do some singing, which was a nice surprise.

NICE!

when I was in NY I met Lucien and handed him a CD I had to sign...he acted all surprised and wanted to know how I got it. Very sweet guy. And so are Jerry and Mark.

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 22 2011, 08:40 PM

QUOTE (critterpaws_4me @ Apr 22 2011, 01:42 PM)

NICE!

when I was in NY I met Lucien and handed him a CD I had to sign...he acted all surprised and wanted to know how I got it. Very sweet guy. And so are Jerry and Mark.

It's always nice to visit with these guys, isn't it? They really do appreciate their fans and don't act like they're too good for them. Signs of real class and talent.

ClayBusby

justagirl26
Posted: Apr 23 2011, 03:07 PM

Member No.: 1331

ohmy.gif I'll only miss her...when I think of her.
I'd so loved to hear that one.
Sounds like a great time and good show.

WendyD
Posted: Apr 27 2011, 09:50 AM

Super Freak

Member No.: 115

A couple review from the first night of the Boston run:

There’s something about Harry
By Lauren Beckham Falcone | Wednesday, April 27, 2011 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Music News

Royal wedding? What royal wedding? The biggest party this week is at the Colonial Theatre, where Harry Connick Jr. and his good old boys are stomping, swinging and singing their way through Tin Pan Alley down to Nawlins.

And there’s nothing like seeing this multitalented, good-time fella from the Big Easy bring Mardi Gras to the Theater District.

Connick crooned in the first act and shimmied on down to Canal Street in the second. He’s comfortable in both places, but frenetic and fun when he’s channeling the French Quarter.

Connick, who rose to national fame after his soundtrack to the 1989 movie “When Harry Met Sally,” kicked off the concert with its biggest hit, “It Had to Be You,” followed by classics such as “Smile” and “And I Love Her,” all transcending numbers that took the audience into an era of romance.

Until, that is, the technical difficulties.

First, the Steinway wasn’t tuned.

“This is bittersweet,” he said, tapping the E flat. “Sweet that I know the piano will be tuned tomorrow. Bitter because I have to fire the piano tuner.”

He was kidding. But then the microphone was backfiring during a reprise of “It Had to Be You.”

“It’s like Chinese fireworks up here,” he said.

Connick, 43, took it all in stride, because he’s a pro. But what do you expect from a guy who started performing at 5, appeared on his first recording at 10 and released his first album at 19? He’s got three Grammys, an Emmy, two Tony nominations and 24 albums.

And a whole lotta charm.

Better? He doesn’t take himself too seriously.

“How old are you?” he asked two children in the front row. “8 and 6? Do you even know who I am?”

Backed by 21 musicians, Connick’s voice is weathered smooth. He doesn’t scream like so many singers; he serenades. Unless he’s seducing us with Crescent City jams — then his ribald rocking sensibilities take over. After a while, you couldn’t tell who was having more fun — Connick or the audience. And that’s always a good time.
Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...ticleid=1333576

Theater Review
The Boston Globe
Connick brings New Orleans suave
The show’s second half last night showcased the good-time side of Harry Connick Jr. that has rarely been captured on his records. The show’s second half last night showcased the good-time side of Harry Connick Jr. that has rarely been captured on his records.
By James Reed
Globe Staff / April 27, 2011

One mishap after another, Harry Connick Jr. kept his cool. Four songs into his show at the Colonial Theatre last night, he realized his piano was out of tune. E flat was not so flat. Next up, in the middle of “It Had to Be You,’’ pops from his piano microphone were so loud that they prompted Connick to crack: “It’s like Chinese New Year up here.’’

Such are the perils of opening night – the first of Connick’s five performances at the Colonial through Saturday (tickets are still available), and he took the drama in stride. It was a reminder that Connick’s charm lies as much in his affable persona as in his musical talent.

Connick began in a simmer, so deliberate that it was hard to surmise whether he was warming up or bored stiff with the opening “The Way You Look Tonight.’’ “Smile’’ was completely devoid of one, but Connick slowly came alive as a bossa nova breeze wafted through his cover of the Beatles’ “And I Love Her.’’

He was the centerpiece of a sprawling stage production, including a 12-member string section and an eight-piece jazz band that, in the concert’s second set, added the revered trombone player Lucien Barbarin. The strings were a delicate touch, bringing levity and light particularly to a lush rendition of “Bésame Mucho.’’

By design, the show’s latter half was more off the cuff, showcasing the good-time side of Harry that has rarely been captured on his records. It was as though removing his suit jacket gave him permission to cut loose and connect with his New Orleans roots. Barbarin proved to be his comic foil, channeling his inner Louis Armstrong on “Basin Street Blues’’ and watching with rapt attention during Connick’s lengthy interlude about his infatuation with magician David Blaine. (The singer is an exceptional storyteller.)

Watching Connick vamp his way through “Mardi Gras in New Orleans,’’ with hips swiveling and vocals at full throttle, the question from earlier in the evening was suddenly answered. He was definitely just getting started.

James Reed can be reached at jreed@globe.com.

--------------------
i know i've got someone out there who really digs what i'm doing...
please know that i'll always be singing and playing for you...
as long as you're listening, i'll be there...
-hcjr

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
16 replies since Mar 25 2011, 01:17 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (2) 1 [2] 
<< Back to Tour