Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (73) « First ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73]  ( Go to first unread post )
Dear Dr. Lannen...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pam
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 09:46 AM

Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 201

I love the furminator too. I use it on both my cats and they love it.

WendyD
Posted: Sep 28 2009, 10:03 AM

Super Freak

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (Pam @ Sep 28 2009, 09:46 AM)
I love the furminator too. I use it on both my cats and they love it.

I wish my cat Mulder would love it more. He needs brushed all the time, but he'll only tolerate it for a few minutes at a time. Pesky cat. happy.gif

--------------------
i know i've got someone out there who really digs what i'm doing...
please know that i'll always be singing and playing for you...
as long as you're listening, i'll be there...
-hcjr

critterpaws_4me
Posted: Sep 29 2009, 12:35 AM

Member No.: 47495

She's almost 2 now and her itching is starting to get bad.

I agree with Lisa you should have her evaulated by a vet.

My dog Olivia was itching so bad that she started getting bald spots. The first thing the vet will want to do is a scraping skin test to rule out mites. The vet ended up putting her on Omega-3 tablets and allergy pills. Once it cleared up she came off the pills.

It took a couple of months but she is back to her furry self. We never determined what was causing her allergy....I think it was food because she was switched to a prescription food not too long after the skin problem when she developed bladder crystals. She has been on the prescription food ever since and hasn't had any allergy problems since.

TNfan
Posted: Oct 14 2009, 01:25 PM

Member No.: 541

We took Sophie to the vet, who put her on steroids. The itching stopped almost immediately but now she's a drinking/peeing machine, wants to sleep OUTSIDE unsure.gif , and is acting weird, like she doesn't know where she is half the time. They have lowered her dose but with steriods, you have to finish them so we have to endure one more week of this. Poor girl.

--------------------
"If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it."
-Max Lucado

critterpaws_4me
Posted: Oct 14 2009, 01:41 PM

Member No.: 47495

Yay her itching stopped. biggrin.gif Glad to hear she's getting relief. I had forgotten my vet used steriods too with my Olivia. Her side effects included drinking a lot, a lot of peeing, weight gain, and exhaustion...in between getting up to drink and then pee she slept all day.

This post has been edited by critterpaws_4me on Oct 14 2009, 01:42 PM

Maril
Posted: Oct 16 2009, 12:26 PM

Devotee

Member No.: 1422

Glad Sophie is doing better; the steriods do have many side effects; sorry you all have to go through this.

TNfan
Posted: Oct 17 2009, 06:31 PM

I didn't mention we had a BEAR in our yard 2 weeks ago. I've got her sleeping back in the house again. I just had to remind myself, the bear walked right by my grazing chickens, I'm sure lots of dogs and cats and other furry animals and didn't bother any of them.

--------------------
-Max Lucado

llannen
Posted: Feb 19 2010, 03:43 PM

Member No.: 1329

Wow...sorry for the MIA but ya'll took good care of each other. Just wanted to pop in to add that the furminator is meant for short haired pets-cats/dogs alike. When I say short hair....for a dog-like a min pin or something. The furminator rips out the undercoat from the follicles so it could be damaging the skin. For long haired dogs (like goldens) the good old fashioned slicker brush (okay, sorry, tried to add a link and how pathetic is that I can't get it to work, has it REALLY been that long????) will work.

For Sophie..I'm glad the steroids worked but ask your vet if there is an alternative to them so you don't use them chronically. That can cause more problems. sad.gif

So sorry about Sophia.....

I promise to check in more often!!!!

--------------------
"Harry who??"
I wonder if a pack of conures would attack you in the wild???-Scott
Today is the tomorrow you were worrying about yesterday....was it worth it???
All offenses vanish from him who keeps the sun in his heart.

TNfan
Posted: Jun 15 2010, 12:22 PM

Just in case it helps someone else; for my itchy dog, after the steriods we switched her food to some with no corn in it and it did the trick. We cut out wet food too. We get those dried out chicken strips and give her those instead of wet food and then the dry food with no corn or cornmeal. Viola! She's doing great!

--------------------
-Max Lucado

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
728 replies since Dec 7 2005, 02:49 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (73) « First ... 68 69 70 71 72 [73] 
<< Back to General (OT)