Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Treme, New HBO series about NOLA
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 18 2010, 02:40 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 53539

I saw an ad for this while watching something else on HBO. From the summary of the first episode, it looks like a series about folks in the music community rebuilding after the hurricane. We don't have HBO, but go to a friend's house to watch The Pacific (incidentally, Joe Cable is not one of the Marines in it).

I see it has Steve Zahn in it, though. We like him, and I like the jazz, so we'll find it on DVD for sure. Has anybody seen it?

The HBO website for the series has some links to New Orleans stuff and some music featured in the show.

ClayBubsy

CherieG
Posted: Apr 19 2010, 09:02 AM

Member No.: 1233

hmmm sounds interesting, I'll be looking for it for sure! Thanks!

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 20 2010, 07:30 PM

The HBO site had a link to WWOZ New Orleans radio, which streams great New Orleans music 24/7. It's the real deal, for sure.

ClayBusby

Lisa
Posted: Apr 21 2010, 08:47 AM

Super Freak

Member No.: 16

Treme is wonderful! Not only does it pretty accurately depict NOLA after the Federal Flood, but the show itself is employing lots of locals! Not just musicians but our very own Stacy will be in one of the episodes as an extra! The characters are based on real people in New Orleans. The DJ, Davis is a real DJ- Davis Rogan and people who know him say he is actually more obnoxious in person. I am pretty sure the real Davis is a consultant or write on the show. The John Goodman Character is based on the blogger Ashley Morris who passed away in 2008. Many of his lines are taken right from Ashleys blog. Check it out, his wife maintains it. http://ashleymorris.typepad.com/

The chef is based on Chef Susan Spicer of Bayona. The Mardi Gras Indian Chief is loosely based on Tootie Montana. (if you can get a copy of it, "Tootie's Last Suit" is an awesome movie...a real must see of anyone who enjoys NOLA...

David Simon really did his homework for this show, and anything you see on there, you can bet was based on something that really happened.

I'm a little nervous to see where the characters of Sonny and Annie are heading. Way too much foreshadowing towards Zach Bowen and Addie Hall. Google it. Read the Book.

The best blog so far discussing Treme is a bunch of my favorite NOLA bloggers, some who are personal friends at Back of Town Blog. Check it out.

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Apr 21 2010, 08:50 PM

Lisa-

Thanks much--I appreciate the insights. That blog was a good read. HBO is a mixed bag when it comes to their portrayals of events known to history. Their material culture is almost always spot on even if the storylines and characters may stretch beyond what's accurate. I saw a person who had an HBO character based on him comment about their dramatic license, "That's just Hollywood."

Your blogger friends made some good points about how NOLA culture is so vastly different from anything else we know. We live in southern PA--and the entire package of New Orleans music, food, language and atmosphere is totally foreign here.

Alas, I must wait for Treme to come out on DVD. But I'll do my homework in the interim. Knowing the characters and stories ahead of time makes these series all the more enjoyable.

ClayBusby

Lisa
Posted: Apr 22 2010, 04:04 PM

Super Freak

Member No.: 16

And although this is on HBO, remember its David Simons baby and he's really invested in it. He's wanted to do a series about NOLA long before the federal flood. Every person, every song, every interaction...there is a reason for it.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
5 replies since Apr 18 2010, 02:40 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to General (OT)