Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
MG '07 Updates
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Lisa
Posted: Oct 27 2006, 09:30 AM

Super Freak

Group: Members
Member No.: 16

Endymion to return to its Mid-City route

The Mardi Gras Guide has learned that the NOPD will allow the Krewe of Endymion to return to its Mid-City route in 2007. As part of a plan to further revitalize the neighborhood, and to make it easier for the police to handle the parades scheduled for Saturday, February 17, the Krewes of Iris and Tucks have been asked to precede Endymion on the Mid-City route. This request has not sat well with the captains of these two organizations which have always considered uptown their home. The City Council has the final say so on the matter of parade routes.

Endymion officials have made it known that they would prefer to return to Mid City, but would parade on the uptown route again if asked to by the City. In 2002 Endymion rolled uptown because of construction of the Canal Streetcar line. In 2006 in the aftermath of Katrina, the 2,200 member club voluntarily paraded from Napoleon and Tchoupitoulas.

Fat Tuesday is four months from today.
Posted: October 20, 2006

So what's happening in the world of Carnival? Plenty.

* Expect an announcement within the next two weeks about the corporate sponsorship of Mardi Gras 2007. Media Buys -- the Los Angeles company that was hired on a commission basis to sell the sponsorships--reports a great deal of interest in the various packages and levels of participation being offered. Details will be made public soon. Funds will go to offset the city's costs in presenting Carnival.

* The Orleans Parish parade calendar is finally taking shape, with an announcement this week by the City to the krewe captains that pre-Katrina standards will be in place for 2007; meaning a minimum of 14 floats and 7 bands in each parade.

* Parade permit applications are normally extended to the krewes on July 15 and returned to the City by August 15. This year's applications will be forwarded to the clubs by November 1.

* Parades will roll in their original "Pre-K" slots, with these exceptions so far: Druids will parade on Wednesday and Morpheus on Friday. Both krewes asked for these changes which give the NOPD Monday and Tuesday nights off.

* It is expected that Cleopatra, Pygmalion and Oshun will open the season on Friday, February 9.

* Saturn and Aladdin will not parade; Bards hopes to parade, but the Mayor's Mardi Gras Coordinating Committee voted to not allow their return. The final decision rests with the New Orleans City Council. A new Krewe of Bes wants to parade on the Westbank in 2007.

* Returning to their original parade routes are Thoth, Rex and Zulu. Endymion's route has not been finalized.

* Alla plans a mini-parade on January 6 as part of its 75th anniversary. "Mr. Mardi Gras" Blaine Kern has announced this will be his last year as Captain of the Algiers-based club.

* The City has proposed a hike in 2007 parade permit fees from $750 per parade to $100 per float. Krewe captains objected, but agreed to discuss the matter for the 2008 season.

* The biggest issue to affect parading krewes in 2007 will be the high cost and limited availability of insurance.

* The Municipal Auditorium and the Fairmont Hotel will not be available for Carnival balls.

* In 2007 Endymion returns its Extravaganza to the Louisiana Superdome.

* Longtime and much-respected Mardi Gras guru Henry Trapani has replaced Mike Yenni as parade coordinator in Jefferson Parish. Yenni took a post with Kenner Mayor Ed Muniz.

* In Jefferson Parish, relaxed "Katrina standards" will be in effect for one more year, meaning that smaller parades will not be penalized.

* The popular “Twilight on Twelfth Night” Carnival kickoff celebration held each year at the Pontchartrain Center in Kenner and sponsored by the Friends of Rivertown will not be held in 2007.

* Jefferson Parish President Aaron Broussard will soon announce plans for "Family Gras," a series of family oriented activities held on the first weekend
of the parade season.

* As part of the 50th anniversary of Zeus (and of Mardi Gras parades in Metairie) the club will present a special parade on Twelfth Night, on its original Metairie Road parade route. And of course its regular parade will take place on Lundi Gras.

* In St. Bernard Parish, Gladiators, Arabi and Aphrodite will not parade. It is expected that Nemesis will.

* Float builder, ball designer, and Carnival historian Henri Schindler has just released the fourth is his series of coffee table books, Mardi Gras Treasures-Jewelry of the Golden Age. The beautifully illustrated volume features hundreds of photographs.

* Mardi Gras photographer Mitch Osborne will not be publishing his annual Carnival calendar in 2007, but hopes to issue one for 2008.

* On Sunday, October 21, "Carnival!" opens at NOMA. The multimedia exhibition examines Carnival in eight cities, including Laza, Spain; Venice, Italy, Basel, Switzerland; Recife and Olinda, Brazil; Tlaxcala, Mexico; Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago; and New Orleans. Works from noted local photographer Syndey Byrd will be prominently featured.

Lisa
Posted: Nov 1 2006, 10:05 AM

Super Freak

The theme for Bacchus this year is "Through the Eyes of a Child"
Orpheus is "Transformations"

Lisa
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 10:09 AM

Super Freak

Krewe Du Vieux: the satirical Krewe Du Vieux will hold their fundraiser at Chickie Wah Wah on December 8th. Their 2007 parade will roll on February 3rd. Columnist & author Chris Rose will serve as king. This year's parade theme: Habitat for Insanity.

Lisa
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 10:09 AM

Super Freak

2007 Parade Schedule

stacey
Posted: Nov 27 2006, 10:23 AM

Super Freak

Member No.: 18

QUOTE (Lisa @ Nov 27 2006, 09:09 AM)
Krewe Du Vieux: the satirical Krewe Du Vieux will hold their fundraiser at Chickie Wah Wah on December 8th. Their 2007 parade will roll on February 3rd. Columnist & author Chris Rose will serve as king. This year's parade theme: Habitat for Insanity.

I LOVE Chickie Wah Wah!!! it is the BEST new club in town. The owner is the sweetest hardest working bar owner. We told him we were coming on Saturday. He usually serves some sort of food during the set break (free) and he told us it was going to be red beans and rice. well my roomie told him she was a veggie...so he made it vegetarian!!! 2thumbup.gif no one else realized there wasn't any sausage in it!! We :heart: Dale. He is going to make that place pretty awesome. He wants a bar cat so we are looking for a kitten for him. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
"We Got Jazz Bands, Trad Bands, Funk Bands and Brass Bands, Whatever your heart desires...if you can take that southern heat, then you can party with me, meet me on Frenchmen Street~Shamarr Allen

Kristy
Posted: Nov 28 2006, 01:00 AM

Groupie

Member No.: 2

My cousins LOVED that place too!! greta wouldn't shut up about how clean the bathroom was! laugh.gif
I can't wait to go there someday!

They brought me home a tshirt smile.gif I war it all the time now. tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image

stacey
Posted: Nov 28 2006, 07:47 AM

Super Freak

Member No.: 18

It is clean!! He is going to have an AWESOME garden area soon....he was laying bricks on Sunday. It is just a great space.....I :heart it: I would even more if the dang Carrollton Bus would ever run again. I could bus down to Canal...then hop the streetcar a few blocks...and I would be there. No one would have to worry about driving. 2thumbup.gif

--------------------
user posted image
"We Got Jazz Bands, Trad Bands, Funk Bands and Brass Bands, Whatever your heart desires...if you can take that southern heat, then you can party with me, meet me on Frenchmen Street~Shamarr Allen

Lisa
Posted: Dec 20 2006, 01:31 PM

Super Freak

American Idol Taylor Hicks to Reign as Endymion Grand Marshal
Posted by Mardi Gras FAQ December 20, 2006 12:19
Mardi Gras FAQ Index

Print | Email

Taylor Hicks
View Photo AlbumView Photo Album

New Orleans, LA -- Taylor Hicks, the 29-year-old American Idol, will reign as Endymion Grand Marshal 2007, said Endymion Captain Ed Muniz Wednesday. Said Muniz, "63.4 million people voted for Taylor as their American Idol. He will be a great ambassador to show America and the world that New Orleans is open to visitors. He is eager to be a part of our celebration, and we are excited to welcome him."

Hicks visited New Orleans for a wedding just before Hurricane Katrina struck the city. With his flight out of town cancelled, Hicks took a cab to West Monroe. He turned his free plane ticket into an audition trip to Las Vegas for the hit show American Idol. His contagious energy and smoky voice captured the heart of America, and Hicks was awarded the 2006 American Idol title.

Hicks first single "Do I Make You Proud" debuted at #1 on the Billboards HOT 100, the Single Sales charts and the POP 11, with more than 190 thousand copies sold in the first week of release. Said Hicks, "The last year of my life has been an amazing journey that happens to very few people. I intend to make the best of it."

Hicks attended Auburn University to study business and journalism, but left to showcase his talent. He spent hours peddling his independently released CDs all over Birmingham. Then he opened for James Brown, Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, Drive-By Truckers, Robert Randolph and Keb Mo, before becoming a headliner himself. Joining Taylor at the Endymion Extravaganza, a black-tie private gala in the Louisiana Superdome following the parade, will be Journey, Styx, and Al Green. Local bands the Chee Weez, the WiseGuys and the Topcats will also perform.

Journey, founded in 1973 in San Francisco, has performed for more than 30 years with 18 US releases and over 75,000,000 in album sales. Their hits include, "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin", "Who's Crying Now", "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Open Arms". Styx, formed in Chicago in 1968, will play favorites "Come Sail Away", "Miss America", "Superstars", "Castle Wall", "Renegade", and "Show Me The Way". Al Green, a Rock & Roll Hall of Famer with a legendary 30-year career, will sing his classics including, "Tired of Being Alone," "Let's Stay Together," "I Can't Get Next to You," "I'm Still in Love With You," "Call Me," "Here I Am," "Let's Get Married" and "Love and Happiness."

WendyD
Posted: Dec 20 2006, 02:16 PM

Super Freak

Member No.: 115

Ok, am I old? Because I am way more interested in Journey and Styx! LOL

--------------------
i know i've got someone out there who really digs what i'm doing...
please know that i'll always be singing and playing for you...
as long as you're listening, i'll be there...
-hcjr

TracyA
Posted: Dec 20 2006, 03:23 PM

Devotee

Member No.: 448

I loved Journey back in the days! laugh.gif

I think I read that James Gandolfini (sp) is the Grand Marshall of Bacchus. Or am I dreaming?

Wish I was going this year! I have break then, too! sad.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
103 replies since Oct 27 2006, 09:30 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Pages: (11) [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last »
<< Back to Orpheuscapade 2007