Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Harry's (early) critics, Posted for pure entertainment
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
ClayBusby1943
Posted: Dec 31 2010, 10:01 AM

Group: Members
Member No.: 53539

I know this has come up before, but I put it here strictly for amusement.

We were hitting some used bookstores earlier this week and I found some things that gave me quite a chuckle. A few of these places had some jazz CD guides from the mid-90's in which critics were rating various releases from the whole gamut of jazz artists. Naturally, I looked up Harry. I don't know if the same author wrote all of the reviews. I noticed though that invariably they called 11 "amateurish" and rated both Harry Connick, Jr. and 25 very highly. Generally, 20, We Are in Love, and BL,RL were panned (?!?). WHMS got a little bit of props but there was no shortage of tiresome comparisons to Sinatra. Lofty's was considered mainly a throw-away attempt at serious jazz; and of course the funk albums were merely a segue into saying things like, "Well, we're glad to say that these will be the last entries we have to make for Connick, b/c he's more interested in celebrity than music."

I guess Teddy Riley, Johnny Adams, Leroy Jones, the Marsalises, Roger Ingram, Lucien Barbarin, Jerry Weldon and Joe Barati thought differently.

laugh.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
0 replies since Dec 31 2010, 10:01 AM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to Music