Back to Main Site
 Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Help | Search | Members | Calendar

Memphis Belle...2010, I saw THE plane from the movie
« Next Oldest | Next Newest » Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
ClayBusby1943
Posted: Jun 7 2010, 09:48 PM

Group: Members
Member No.: 53539

Last weekend Mrs. Busby and I went to the big WWII weekend in Reading, PA so I could get my airplane fix. I was busily snapping pix of a beautifully restored B-17 when my wife pointed out that it was used in "Memphis Belle". This is one of only two B-17's appearing in the film; the other is in England. A nice surprise, considering the organizers didn't advertise it. Of course, I had to go back to the original Clay Busby's station. I've attached a picture of the tail-gun position--which Harry undoubtedly occupied during the filming.

We didn't stay around long enough to find out if a Harry re-enactor would do "Danny Boy" at the dance that night. We'll see the real deal next week.

ClayBusby

This post has been edited by ClayBusby1943 on Jun 7 2010, 09:53 PM

Attached Image

Attached Image

amyleighm
Posted: Jun 27 2011, 08:25 PM

Member No.: 2908

awesome! i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this one AND the real Memphis Belle, but have never had the chance. Thanks for sharing the pic! smile.gif

amyleighm
Posted: Jun 27 2011, 08:27 PM

wait, do you mean YOU are the original clay busby?!? smile.gif

ClayBusby1943
Posted: Jun 28 2011, 10:29 PM

Member No.: 53539

QUOTE (amyleighm @ Jun 27 2011, 08:27 PM)
wait, do you mean YOU are the original clay busby?!? smile.gif

The ORIGINAL "Clay Busby" was actually John Quinlan, of upstate New York. Incidentally, to keep up morale, he used to sing to the rest of the crew over the intercom system during their missions.

My real name is not "Clay Busby", either--although there are some on Facebook, believe it or not laugh.gif

ClayBusby

amyleighm
Posted: Jul 1 2011, 12:50 AM

haha. ok, understood! i wondered how many of the names and all were changed in the movie. i dont know whyt hey do that? unless the original people dont give them permission to use their names or something? who knows? anyways thanks for sharing the pic! smile.gif

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
4 replies since Jun 7 2010, 09:48 PM Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic

<< Back to Movies